As a Functional Medicine Nutritionist, I am passionate about preventing chronic disease and maintaining wellness.
Functional lab testing aims to prevent disease before it happens by assessing patterns of clinical imbalance that, without intervention, might progress into chronic disease.
In addition to the preventive benefits of promoting optimal health and vitality in the absence of disease, other benefits include:
- Thorough & Comprehensive Biomarkers: These biomarkers are more thorough than what is typically tested for on annual Basic and Comprehensive Metabolic Profiles (CMP).
- More Sensitive Ranges: Functional ranges for biomarkers are different from lab norms, which are typical (statistical) reference ranges that are in the context of “pathological” ranges and based on disease states. The pathological ranges are used to diagnose disease; whereas, the functional ranges are used to assess risk for disease before the disease develops.
Functional medicine testing can be used to identify:
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Digestive, absorptive, and metabolic dysfunction
- Toxic exposures and ability to detoxify
- Inflammatory responses and triggers
- Imbalances in neurotransmitter metabolites and amino acid precursors
- Hormonal imbalances—adrenal and thyroid functioning
- Disturbances of the gut microbiome
- Genetic susceptibilities such as methylation (MTHFR) and detoxification issues
YOUR LAB WORK. ON YOUR TERMS.
I am pleased to announce that I have partnered as an affiliate with YourLabwork.
HOW "YOURLABWORK" WORKS
Testing your blood gives you insight into the most important laboratory – your own body. Get baseline screening blood tests or decide to take a deeper dive by ordering from the menu of advanced biomarkers.
It's an easy process; just follow these steps:
- Order the tests you want @YourLabwork with no physician visit required. Select from a menu of individual tests or choose one of our popular laboratory packages.
- Have your blood drawn at any Quest Lab location in the United States (or any local draw station that works with Quest Labs). NOTE: Direct lab testing is now available in 46 States. However, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, and Rhode Island are excluded.
- Results are available in as soon as 48 hours and are delivered right to your inbox.
- Your lab report will provide valuable insights and help you better understand and optimize your personal health.
- Once you've received your lab results from YourLabWork, you can (a) opt to review and interpret the results yourself, (b) consult with your physician, or (c) schedule a Lab Report Review with Malaika. Malaika will discuss optimal functional ranges for labs, guide you to resources to help you understand your labs and help you with any questions you may want to discuss further with your doctor.